Saturday, August 1, 2015

We've Arrived! (First evening/First morning, July 31/August 1)

Saturday morning, August 1st.

We've had a very busy 30 hours or so.  We left Dulles on Thursday at 5:45 pm.  Our flight was fairly uneventful, but long.  We had a brief touch-down in Senegal before the final leg to Johannesburg. Our hotel, the DaVinci Hotel on Nelson Mandela Square, is very luxurious.  We enjoyed a nice dinner at the hotel restaurant before we crashed.  I had garlic prawns and pasta and others enjoyed massive steaks. I know we will be eating well over the next 10 days.
After a very comfortable night sleep, I woke up early to use the gym.  The breakfast buffet was delicious and the staff was very accommodating...I had an egg white omelet with vegetables. They also made me a "surprise" crepe, which I had to at least sample! Julie, Angie and I even had time for a brisk walk around the neighborhood before we met our South African teacher counterparts.  I am working with Shomane Sekhula, a 43-year-old teacher at Ponelopele Oracle Secondary School. We are off and running!














1 comment: